Although fruits are liked by everyone, when it comes to dates, their natural sweetness makes it more special. This is why dates are a popular food item. Dates are known as dates in English, Tawarikh in Arabic and Pamier in French. Date palm is considered to be a species of a palm tree. Its tree is quite large and the leaves are also about four to six meters long. Its scientific name is Phoenix Dactylifera.
Eating both fruit and nuts is beneficial in many ways. It is rich in calcium, potassium, protein, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin-B6, A and K. In addition, dates contain carbohydrates, iron, beneficial fats, dietary fiber, and fatty acids. All these nutrients protect our body from diseases.
Date palm cultivation is believed to have first started in Iraq, after which it began to be grown in Arabia and other countries. Not only the fruit, but its seeds are also of great use. Many times its seeds are mixed in coffee beans and it is used as an alternative to coffee. At the same time, its oil is also used in cosmetic and soap making. Let us tell you that fresh dates are available only from August to December, but dried dates are available in the market throughout the year.
Classification of Dates
- Ajwa – Ajwa is very famous among the dates. Coming from the Medina of Arabia, this date is very healthy and soft in taste. Ajwa’s date is smaller than the other dates. It is believed that after eating this date, the scent of rose starts coming from the mouth.
- Deglet Noor – One of the best palm varieties of Tunisia and Algeria is Deglet Noor. Its specialty is that it is slightly dry and less sweet. It is rich in many nutritious elements. This date is commonly used in food.
- Medjool – in Morocco origin of the palm, which is considered to be quite tasty. Also, Medjool tastes like toffee. And, Medjool is also considered the most nutritious. It is the most common species of black palm.
- Hallawi – This date is very tasty in fresh food. This species of date belongs to Iraq. It contains between 28 and 42 percent soluble solids. Hallawi dates can also tolerate rain to a large extent. This date is considered much sweeter than other dates. Helvi dates are small in size.
- Barhi – Barhi date palm is golden yellow in color. This date is known for its different tastes and more pulp. Due to the high pulp on this date, it is thicker than other dates. It is also very soft.
- Hayani – This date is very soft and it is very dark in color. Hayani date should be eaten fresh, as it gets spoiled by the time it reaches ripening or drying.
- Khadrawi – Khadravai variety of dates is found especially in Iraq. These date palm trees are less tall than other dates. It can be eaten with both dates and fresh fruits.
- Dairy – This date is black in color. It is also much longer than other dates.
- Iteema – This date is also very sweet in taste. Iteema is a species of Algeria.
Benefits of Dates
The heart is the most important part of our body, so it is important to pay attention to its health. To keep the heart better, you can consume a handful of dates throughout the day. The antioxidant properties present in dates help remove cholesterol from artery cells. Atherosclerosis, that is, the hardening of the arteries and the filling of plaque in it, can also be prevented.
Weight gain can also result in heart-related diseases. In such a case, regular intake of dates can keep your weight under control, as it contains plenty of fiber. When weight is controlled, you are protected from many diseases.
Dates are a good source of magnesium, selenium, copper, and manganese. All these nutrients help in strengthening the bones as well as in removing the troubles associated with them. In addition, dates are also rich in vitamin-K, which helps to thicken the blood and metabolize bones. According to a report by North Dakota State University, dates also contain boron, a mineral that is very beneficial for bones.
Dates help to control blood pressure levels, as it contains plenty of potassium and minerals. About 24 grams of Medjool dates contain about 167 mg of potassium, which is much higher than other fruits. Kidney stones can also be avoided by maintaining the correct amount of potassium in the body.
According to a report by Harvard Medical School, dates should also be included in their diet to control high blood pressure. It can be used daily because of the potassium, magnesium and fiber found in dates. The magnesium present in dates also relaxes the muscles of your heart and blood vessels.
Rich in taste and natural properties, dates also give you energy. The daily intake of dates does not allow its helpful nutrients to make you feel tired throughout the day. Eating dates are transmitted throughout the day to the body due to the nutrients in it, fructose and glucose.
The benefits of dates are many. It also contains ingredients that fight pain and inflammation. As we mentioned at the beginning of the article, dates contain a significant amount of magnesium, which is quite important for the immune system. If there is less magnesium in your diet, your immune system will not be able to fight inflammation properly.
Date fruit is also considered very good for sexual health. This is because 23 types of amino acids are found in the proteins found in date fruit, which are beneficial for sexual health. The point to note here is that only natural amino acids help in improving sexual health.
According to an Indian study, date palm pollen also helps in maintaining sexual health. It is used to increase fertility. Date pollen is also used in medicines to relieve sexual problems.
The question that often arises in people’s minds is whether date fruit can be consumed during pregnancy. We are telling you on the basis of research that date fruit are safe and beneficial for mother and child. The fructose sugar present in date fruit gives energy without altering the blood sugar levels in the body.
During pregnancy, the woman needs an additional 300 calories, which is met by date fruit. At the same time, the fiber present in date fruit also works to reduce hemorrhoids during pregnancy. However, pregnancy is a delicate time, so be sure to consult a doctor before consuming date fruit.
Strong immune system
A nutritious diet is the only way to keep your body and immune system strong. Therefore, the amount of protein, iron and other vitamins in food is necessary. Protein strengthens the muscles as well as strengthens the immune system. In such a situation it is considered beneficial to take date fruit.
Date fruit also has antibacterial properties, which protect our body from many diseases. It has the ability to fight deadly disease like cancer and protect the body from it. However, more scientific study is still needed on this topic.
Date pulp is very helpful in treating constipation. It also has the properties of balancing gastrointestinal infections. According to the University Rochester Medical Center, fiber deficiency can cause constipation problems. During constipation, date fruit is effective in correcting the imbalance in the mineral levels in our body, as it contains a lot of fiber. Eating about 35 grams of fiber daily makes your stool soft and there is no hindrance in the digestive process. At the same time, the fiber present in date fruit also helps in preventing stomach cancer.
Cholesterol is also controlled by eating date fruit. An Israeli study reported that if a healthy person consumes date fruit daily, cholesterol levels and oxidative stress are effectively affected. Date fruit is high in potassium, which also helps in reducing harmful cholesterol.
It is important to choose the right food during diarrhea. According to research by Columbia University Medical Center, what we eat in diarrhea can sometimes cause diarrhea to increase rather than stop. This report states that potassium would be very good at relieving diarrhea. At the same time, you have already known that date fruit is rich in potassium.
Date fruit is very effective in protecting the brain from stress and inflammation. Its regular intake can protect you from neurodegenerative diseases. Neurodegenerative disease is called brain diseases in which the nervous system of the brain is affected.
Date is also found beneficial in enhancing memory. According to one study, fruit date have the potential to reduce the effects of Alzheimer’s. According to a scientific study, date can be helpful in preventing inflammation of the brain.
Colon cancer of the colon can be fatal. According to a scientific study, the ingredients found in date help prevent colon cancer. In particular, polyphenols found in celery date can prevent cancer. Apart from this, the fiber found in date is also helpful in fighting stomach cancer and relieving constipation. At the same time, consuming other types of date fruit also produces good bacteria in our intestine, which helps in keeping the stomach healthy.
Help in weight gain
If you are thin enough, you can increase your weight by eating dates daily. Up to 30% increase in weight from ground date seeds has been observed during research. This study was done on a goat’s baby, so it is believed that it may also increase the weight of humans. However, further research is still needed on this topic.
Prevents Drug Addiction
Dates are also used to reduce intoxication. Although no extensive research has been done on this, there is an interesting anecdote to prove this fact. In some parts of Northern Nigeria, it is believed that dates were mixed with black pepper in homegrown beer, so that the beer became less intoxicating.
Moreover, Vitamin-A deficiency is the leading cause of night blindness. From the information given above in this article, you have come to know that dates are rich in vitamin-A. Dates can also be used to remove night blindness.
Prevention of piles
Hemorrhoids can occur if you have constipation problems. As we have mentioned earlier in this article, dates have enough fiber. Therefore, its intake can reduce the problem of hemorrhoids to a great extent.
Date is considered a high carbohydrate fruit, due to which it can help in muscle development. In this article, we have also mentioned earlier that a large amount of carbohydrate is found in dates, which is very helpful in muscle development.
Help to reduce belly fat
Yes, the benefits of eating dates include reducing belly fat. If you are troubled by obesity, you can include dates in your routine. Dates are rich in fiber and the inclusion of fiber in the diet reduces appetite and reduces the desire to eat something frequently. Dates are sweet in taste and you can consume them easily.
Iron deficiency in the body causes anemia. To avoid this fatal problem, you can consume dates regularly, because it is high in iron. Therefore, dates can be used to relieve complaints of anemia.
Treating intestinal disorders
The benefits of dates are certainly many. In particular, the fiber in it has a very positive effect on our intestines and digestive system. The fibers and polyphenols present in it prevent bacteria from spreading in the intestines and help to make the intestines healthy. In the above article, we have also mentioned that colon cancer can be avoided with the use of dates.
Moreover, Vitamin-C and D are also found in plenty of dates. Therefore, it helps to keep the skin healthy. Date is also rich in anti-aging elements. Dates seed extracts contain phytohormone, which acts like anti-aging. This extract works to relieve wrinkles
Furthermore, Date is also very beneficial for hair. Being rich in iron, dates can promote blood circulation in the scalp, which helps in hair growth. Also, the vitamin-E present in it can be very helpful for the growth of your hair, but scientific studies are yet to be done on it. At the same time, it is believed that regular intake of dates can prevent hair from becoming white.
Dates Fruit Nutritional values
Dates are rich in nutrients like vitamins and minerals. Therefore, it is considered very important for our body. We have already told you about the benefits of dates. Now you can know from the table below what are the nutrients in dates.
|NUTRIENTS FOUND IN DATES||PER 100 GRAMS|
|Total Lipid (Fat)||0.15 g|
|Fiber (Total Dietary)||6.7g|
|Vitamin B6||0.249 mg|
|Vitamin A, RAE||7µg|
|Vitamin A, IU||149IU|
How to use dates?
- You can have date as healthy snacks. Remove the palm seed and include it with a nut, almond and cashew nut for a snack.
- You can also add some chopped date in your breakfast. This will make your breakfast more nutritious.
- You can cut and serve date with frozen vanilla curd.
- You can also soak the dried date (date-palm) and eat it.
- Date juice can also be made by making. The antibacterial properties present in it will help keep you healthy. Cut the dates into small pieces and add some water and whisk well. Your juice is ready.
- Date can also be used in the milkshake. You mix a handful of chopped date in a glass of fresh cold milk and whisk well. Take your milkshake ready It is considered beneficial to drink in the morning and at night.
Which Dates Are Safe To Eat?
- Dates are usually sold whole in small and large packets.
- Always buy shiny, moist and unpolished dates.
- Fresh dates may be slightly shrunk, but they are not very hard. They also have crystal sugar on their skin.
- Dates should look thick and shiny and have a uniform color.
- Always use an airtight container and keep the dates in the refrigerator. In this way, date can be stored for six months.
- A dried date has a longer shelf life. If kept in the manner mentioned above, they can be stored for 1 year.
- Placing date in an airtight plastic bag or container increases their shelf life.
Side effects Of Dates Fruits
Besides, knowing the properties of dates, how to consume it can be harmful, it is also important to know. You have already known the benefits of date, so let us now know what can be the disadvantages of eating more of it.
Excess consumption of dates can increase your weight because of 100 grams of dates contains about 227 calories.
Moreover, Overeating dates can also cause hyperkalemia. This is due to the high amount of potassium in the blood and the amount of potassium in the date is sufficient. In hyperkalemia, muscle weakness begins and paralysis can sometimes occur. Therefore, avoid eating too much date.
Also,Date may be slightly harmful to infants, as it is quite thick and hard. The intestines of the baby are not fully developed, so they do not digest the date easily. It can also get stuck in their throat.
The benefits of eating date for the body are many, probably because of which it is also liked around the world. Due to the many nutrients present in it, it is also important to make it a part of the lifestyle, but when eating date and buying, take care of the things mentioned in this article.